Motivation and Energy With Essential Oils
Are you worried about the day ahead and wondering how your going to get through it at this very troubled time with the COV-19? So maybe try some energising oils to get you out of bed and get going for the day ahead. You may have a to-do list or home-schooling ahead and these amazing oils can really support your mindset and really give you the boost you need.
Essential oils can help wake up your whole body by invigorating the senses very quickly, and make you feel revitalized and energetic, leading to a clearer head and then greater productivity. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years, essential oils are amazing for their therapeutic properties and pack a powerful punch in such a small bottle! Only a few drops of these natural, potent aromatic compounds obtained from the flowers, leaves, seeds and bark of plants, can quickly get you back on your feet when you’re feeling depleted.
Let’s face it, we’ve all felt low on energy at times. There are many underlying reasons for feeling this way, including high stress, lack of proper sleep, adrenal fatigue, emotional stress, low moods and more.
If you feel any of these symptoms below, you may be victim to low energy levels:
- Inability to concentrate or focus
- Lack of motivation
- Feeling depressed
- Body aches and pains
- Feeling tired without having done much
- Drowsiness at odd hours in the day
- Increased or loss of appetite
- Feeling irritable
Essential Oils are steam-distilled or cold-pressed, they are extracted from plants, and have aromatic properties which have incredibly amazing benefits.
Essential Oils are “adaptogens” because of their ability to uniquely “adapt” to the needs of the person using the oil, an irritated person might feel calm after using an oil, and a person with low energy levels may feel uplifted using the same oil!
The aromatic molecular compounds in essential oils can pass right through the blood/brain barrier, directly affecting the areas in our brain that control feelings of stress, anxiety and mental fatigue. Hence why the oils work so quickly as they enter the limbic system and into the brain and then changing your moods instantly.
So when you’re struggling with low energy, essential oils when applied topically, or inhaled and also used in a diffuser are proven to uplift the mood, re-energize, and calm mental stress.
Here are a few ways essential oils can help boost your energy levels:
- Make you feel fresh and ready to tackle the day
- Elevate your mood and promote positivity
- Help you re-focus and concentrate
- Reduce feelings of stress and anxiety
- Alleviate fatigue and tiredness
- Increase productivity levels
- Give you the uplift you need to get going
If you’re ready to put the buzz back in your step, read on to discover the top 16 best essential oils for energy, revitalizing your senses and improving your mood.
1. Wild ORANGE
Orange essential oil smells just like a fresh zingy, orange. With a powerful, uplifting aroma, orange oil has proven benefits for creating feelings of happiness that can improve energy levels.
HOW TO USE ORANGE ESSENTIAL OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Add to your diffuser: Need an immediate energy boost? Diffuse a few drops of orange essential oil to instantly uplift and improve concentration.
2. Inhale directly: Directly inhale orange oil to awaken the senses and re-focus on an important task.
3. Add to water: Add 1 drop to your glass of water for a refreshing taste.
Not as potent as orange, but with a sweet and tangy scent, lime oil is perfect to give you the kick you need, without being too overly powerful. According to Chinese Medicine, lime oil is known to promote energy flow in the body. It works really well for helping you to re-focus and concentrate after working or studying for long hours.
HOW TO USE LIME OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Add to your diffuser: Lime essential oil is perhaps best used in a diffuser to invigorate the mood. It also helps to cleanse the air while at it!
2. Inhale directly: Dealing with a high-stress situation at work or at home? Directly inhale lime oil and get the boost you need to get through.
3. Add to water: Add 1 drop to your glass of water for a refreshing taste.
Such an uplifting scent, grapefruit essential oil is an excellent stress buster and is very beneficial in reducing mental fatigue.
HOW TO USE GRAPEFRUIT ESSENTIAL OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Add to your diffuser: Perhaps best used in a diffuser, you will be blown away by how it makes you feel after a long day at work or the lift you need mid afternoon.
2. Apply topically: Add a few drops to the back of your neck or your wrists for a quick uplift.
3. Add to your shower: Need a quick energy boost? Add a drop to your shower gel. Inhale deeply to get the full medicinal benefits.
4. Add to water: Add 1 drop to your glass of water for a refreshing taste.
There’s nothing like the refreshing scent of peppermint! Minty oils like peppermint, eucalyptus and spearmint are excellent for increasing mental clarity, concentration and staying alert. Whether you use them to feel fresh in the morning, or to snap out off a mid-afternoon lull – potent and powerful, minty oils are incredibly versatile and will give you an instant energy boost with a different and if you mix 1 drop to a drop of Wild Orange – wow – that will totally wake the whole body up!!
Peppermint essential oil is an all-rounder when it comes to medicinal properties. It is a natural antibacterial, pain reliever, antiviral and anti-fungal. Its strong, invigorating minty aroma makes it excellent for boosting both mental and physical vitality. It has not only shown to positively improve exercise performance but it can also help improve concentration and fight fatigue caused by overeating and sluggish digestion. Also can support headaches and migraines for all the head tensions that happen especially under pressure.
HOW TO USE PEPPERMINT OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse peppermint essential oil to help you stay alert and concentrate.
2. Apply topically: Add 1 drop to the base of your neck and shoulders to maintain energy levels throughout the day.
3. Inhale directly: A brilliant stimulant, inhale peppermint oil before working out to feel energetic and less lethargic.
Eucalyptus has many healing properties. Its ability to support a favourable immune response means that it can profoundly affect energy levels in the body.
HOW TO USE EUCALYPTUS FOR ENERGY:
1. Cold relief: If you’re feeling fatigued from a cold and are congested, eucalyptus oil can help you get through your day. Add a few drops to a hot shower. Inhale the steam to open up your airways and uplift your mood at the same time!
2. Apply topically: Rub in a few drops of eucalyptus oil directly in your temples (careful not to get it in the eyes), wrists, feet and aching muscles and let the cool, tingling effect calm your muscles after a long day.
3. Inhale Directly: Take a deep breath directly from the bottle for an instant eye-opening pick me up. Add 1 drop to a tissue.
4. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse a few drops for an instant energizing uplift.
If you thought herbs were just for adding flavour to food – you’ll be surprised! Studies have shown that herbal oils like rosemary, thyme, basil and lemongrass have powerful medicinal healing benefits. Use them to give the room a fresh, airy feel, improve your mood and elevate your energy levels!
Feeling a fatigue attack coming on? Rosemary essential oil can help. The oil is also an excellent stimulant and helps fight low energy.
There are many studies that confirm that people that have inhaled Rosemary have improved cognitive abilities and felt more content.
HOW TO USE ROSEMARY OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Inhale: Deeply inhaling rosemary oil directly from the bottle or from a tissue soaked in 1 drop of the oil is the best way to get the most optimum benefits of the oil.
2. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse 1-2 drops of rosemary oil to eliminate mental fatigue and get the positive energy you need to get things done.
A known antibacterial, thyme oil can help boost the immune system and lift your spirits when you most need it.
HOW TO USE THYME OIL FOR ENERGY:
Add to your diffuser: Combine 1 drop of thyme essential oil with 1 drop of orange or lime essential oil and the combination works wonders to help you get going!
There’s nothing like the fresh scent of basil when you’re making a pesto – basil essential oil takes that to a whole new level. Naturally energizing, basil oil helps to stimulate the adrenal glands which makes it excellent for alleviating sluggishness, relieving mental fog, and even fighting chronic fatigue.
HOW TO USE BASIL OIL FOR ENERGY:
Add to your diffuser: Combine 1 drop of lemongrass oil with 1 drops of basil oil and 1 drop of peppermint oil to instantly invoke freshness and clarity.
lemongrass was only for adding that exotic zing of flavour to food? Well, this culinary herb can do much more. Lemongrass oil’s fresh, earthy, invigorating scent instantly uplifts, and can help balance energy and clear the mind.
HOW TO USE LEMONGRASS OIL FOR ENERGY:
Apply topically: Mix 1 drops of lemongrass oil and massage into your temples. Great for a quick pre-workout energy boost to get you motivated!
Warm and spicy oils like cinnamon, ginger and frankincense can give you the kick you need to get motivated and get going. If you want to feel alive and alert – these spicy oils are for you!
Cinnamon oil has shown great effects for regulating blood glucose, and as irregular blood sugar levels can lead to cravings, irritability, gaining weight, and reduced energy levels, cinnamon oil can give you an instant energy boost when you’re feeling both mentally and physically exhausted.
HOW TO USE CINNAMON OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Inhale directly: Put 1 drop of cinnamon oil on your wrists or a handkerchief. The spicy scent is sure to enliven your senses!
2. Add to your diffuser: Cinnamon oil not only makes the house smell great and festive but works well to curb emotional eating that can make you over-eat and feel sluggish.
This is a hot oil so not recommended for use on the skin.
Ginger oil is excellent for maintaining your energy levels. It stimulates the nerves and will keep you energized to get the job done. This deep, warm oil helps to fight feelings of sluggishness and revitalizes.
HOW TO USE GINGER OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Inhale directly: Deeply inhaling the hot aroma of ginger oil from the bottle is great for elevating energy levels, and works especially well for nausea or morning sickness. The scent of ginger oil can also help reduce appetite and cravings. This is a hot oil so not recommended for use on the skin.
Do you get anxious at times? Or perhaps you get bouts of low energy levels coupled with low moods – if this is you, frankincense essential oil is a great oil to use. A gentle, subtle but powerful oil, frankincense might not be as strong as the citrusy and minty oils on our list but it has a lifting, lingering, long-lasting aroma that can have positive effects on the limbic system and balance your energy levels.
HOW TO USE FRANKINCENSE OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Apply topically: Rub 1 drop of frankincense oil to your wrists, on your feet and on the back of your neck. It is sometimes used as a massage oil to balance nervous energy and promote positive energy. On the heels of the feet is also a great place to rub a drop.
2. Add to your diffuser: Add a drop of frankincense oil to your diffuser to help soothe, calm, balance and uplift your mood and energy levels.
13. BLACK PEPPER
The warm and spicy scent of black pepper oil can enhance concentration and provide uplifting energy when you’re feeling worn out and sluggish. It is known to improve circulation and is excellent to use as a pre-work out essential oil, to promote exercise performance.
HOW TO USE BLACK PEPPER OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Apply topically: Rub 1 drop of black pepper oil in the soles of your feet for instant warming energy flow.
2. Inhale directly: The spicy aroma of the oil is strong enough to wake you up when you feel an afternoon slump coming on!
Apart from citrus, minty, spicy and herbal oils, essential oils with woody and flowery notes are great for refreshing the mind and invigorating the body. When you’re feeling tired and exhausted try these essential oils below (solo or in a blend) to stimulate both the mind and the body.
On a day when deadlines are fast approaching or you have deadline reach for your fir oils to evoke feelings of energy and confidence.
Excellent for clearing out both physical and mental fatigue, fir oil invigorates, keeps you alert and promotes feelings of positivity.
HOW TO USE PINE OIL FOR ENERGY:
Add to your diffuser: Diffuse 1 drop of pine oil to recharge your nervous system and feel empowered!
Probably one of the most popular and all-round essential oils, the scent of lavender oil can actually slow down the nervous system to promote relaxation. How does this help your energy levels you might ask? Well, since lavender oil can lead to calming down the body and mind, it not only helps in increasing concentration and focus but also improves mood. Lavender essential oil is also excellent for reducing stress and calming agitation which can leave you with a generous amount of extra energy. A well known sleep enhancer, lavender oil works especially well for insomniacs – and a better night’s sleep is sure to make you feel fresh the next morning!
HOW TO USE LAVENDER OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Inhale directly: Rub 1 drop of lavender oil in your palms, cup your hands to your face and breathe deeply. Within seconds, the aroma enters the brain’s emotion control center, and provides immediate calm and relaxation.
2. Apply topically: When a tension headache strikes rub 1 drop of lavender oil on your temples. You can also massage it on the wrists and under the feet to promote quick absorption – great to get ready for a good night’s rest.
3. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse 1 drop of lavender oil in the air when faced with a deadline or a stressful situation. This can calm the mind and allow for better concentration and improved energy levels to get on with a task.
4 Add to the bath: For a relaxing bath also add a handful of Epsom salts for the perfect bath time.
Cedarwood oil is great for relieving stress and tension and has a calming effect on the mind. The aroma of cedarwood encourages the release of serotonin, which helps to stabilize moods. This helps you to fall asleep, improves your sleep quality, and makes you feel more energetic the next day.
HOW TO USE CEDARWOOD OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Inhale directly: Inhale from the bottle or rub a few drops into your palms and cup your palms to your face and breathe deeply. You can also put 1-2 drops on your wrists or the heels of the feet before bed.
2. Add to your diffuser: Add a drop in your diffuser an hour or so before you put the lights out to set the mood for a goodnight’s sleep.
And if that is not enough information check out this great Podcast from doTERRA https://www.doterra.com/US/en/podcast-episode-1-essential-oils-for-energy and please remember you can always contact me for any further information or support.