The many wonders of Oregano Essential Oil
One of my favourite oils for use all year around.
This oil is a HOT oil so must always be heavily diluted.
Oregano can be used in a capsule or massaged in cream or another carrier oil.
Extracted from the fragrant leaves of the oregano plant, Origanum vulgare, Oregano essential oil has made its way into cookbooks, cleaning cabinets, and supplements. Oregano essential oil is one of the most versatile and powerful essential oils.
Oregano oil possesses a high concentration of both carvacol and thymol, two phenol chemicals with cleansing properties. Oregano essential oil uses both components to its advantage, making it one of the best household cleansing agents known to the essential oil world. Oregano essential oil can be taken internally to help support a healthy immune system and healthy digestion and respiratory function.
Oregano essential oil is also an excellent source of antioxidants. Other benefits of Oregano essential oil can be utilized when preparing and eating culinary dishes. Oregano’s herbaceous flavouring can be added to appetizers, entrees, and sauces to enhance an array of savoury meals. Because of Oregano essential oil’s high phenol content, caution should be taken when diffusing or inhaling—only one to two drops are needed. When applied topically, Oregano essential oil should always be diluted with Fractionated Coconut Oil.
Oregano Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
- Oregano essential oil benefits many homemade cleaners in a big way. For a quick and easy all-purpose cleaner, put 10 drops of Oregano oil into a 16-ounce spray bottle with water. Due to Oregano’s chemical makeup, it is a powerful cleansing and purifying agent. This simple spray is great for surfaces and countertops, even natural stone.
- Support your body in the way it needs, when it needs it. One of the many Oregano essential oil benefits supporting a healthy immune system. One drop taken daily can help maintain healthy immune function. Oregano can be taken more frequently when seasonal threats are high or as needed to further boost immunity. You can put two drops of Oregano oil in a veggie capsule to help support immune function.
- Add a little flavour to your favourite Italian cuisine with some Oregano essential oil. Oregano oil is spicy and herbaceous and will add the perfect hint of flavour to spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, roasts, and much more. When your Italian recipes call for ground oregano, simply replace it with one drop of Oregano oil for a delicious seasoning. One drop of Oregano oil can replace one tablespoon of ground oregano.
- Take advantage of some more powerful Oregano essential oil benefits by adding one to two drops to a veggie capsule. Oregano essential oil benefits overall health and can help support healthy respiratory function.
- Enhance your meals by adding some Roasted Marinara Sauce infused with Oregano and Basil oils. You will be amazed at how something so delicious can be so easy to make. This simple and useful essential oil recipe does not include added sugars and is a delicious way to incorporate the many health benefits of tomatoes into your everyday food selections. This delicious sauce pairs well with pasta, pizza, breadsticks, and much more.
- Oregano essential oil is a rich source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are essential to help protect the body from the oxidation of molecules. When molecules oxidize, they can create free-radicals that can lead to damaged cells. To help support your body with antioxidants and promote a healthy response to oxidation and free-radicals, take Oregano essential oil internally by diluting a drop in water and drinking or putting two drops into a veggie capsule and ingesting.
- Know someone who is feeling under-the-weather or needing a delicious pick-me-up. Italian and Oregano Chicken Soup is the perfect healthy dish to bring them. Enriched with the tantalizing tastes of Italy, this essential oil recipe is filled with fresh vegetables, Ditalini pasta, and a hint of Oregano oil.
- Not only does Oregano essential oil promote healthy immune and respiratory function, it also supports healthy digestion. Oregano essential oil supports healthy digestion by promoting the secretion of digestive juices. When experiencing occasional digestive issues, take Oregano essential oil internally by diluting a drop in water and digesting or by putting two drops into a veggie capsule and ingesting.
- One of the many Oregano essential oil uses is as a flavour-enhancer. Combining the piquant flavours of Oregano essential oil with Italian seasonings, this Italian Oil Bread Dip will have you craving more. This essential oil recipe is simply delicious and can be used as a dip for your favourite Italian breads. If you are putting together a special dinner for two, needing an appetizer for a party, or searching for an excellent side dish for a family gathering, this is an ideal choice.
- Have you ever heard the phrase “we’re better off together?” In Oregano and Peppermint oil’s case, it’s true! In a recent study, a group of Brazilian researchers reported that, at least in the cases they were looking at, Oregano and Peppermint oil worked better when used together. When two different substances like Oregano and Peppermint oil work to create a combined effect that is greater than the effects of the individual substance on their own, the result is called synergism. When using Oregano oil, use it alongside Peppermint oil for a more powerful result.
- Though Oregano essential oil is ideal for Italian dishes, it also makes a wonderful addition to cuisines from around the world. This Costa Rican Black Bean Soup with Oregano and Thyme essential oils is superb and combines some of the best spices and ingredients to create a delicious flavour that is sure to please. For a unique, cultural dish you can share with those around you, try this essential oil recipe.
The oregano plant, Origanum vulgare, is a bushy perennial that is part of the Lamiaceae family. The leaves of the plant are fragrant and are characterized by their rounded to ovate shape. This plant also produces tiny, pinkish-purple or white flowers.
The oregano plant grows best in dry to medium moisture and well-drained soils. It thrives in full sun. Oregano essential oil is extracted from the leaves of this plant.
Chemistry of Oregano Essential Oil
Main Chemical Components: Carvacrol, thymol , para-cymene, γ-terpinene
All of the Oregano essential oil benefits come from it’s chemistry. The main chemical component of Oregano essential oil is carvacrol. Carvacrol has a monoterpene backbone and is part of the phenols functional group. Carvacrol is a chemical that contains warming properties. Carvacrol, along with thymol, another main chemical constituent in Oregano essential oil, possesses cleansing and antioxidant properties. The antioxidant properties contribute heavily to the rich source of antioxidants provided from Oregano oil.